What is collagen? Collagen is the most abundant structural protein in our bodies. It is found especially in our bones, skin, muscles, tendons and connective tissues. Collagen is what gives our skin elasticity and strength. As far as our tendons and joints, collagen is the glue that holds our bodies together. As we age, our collagen production starts to slow down. This leads to wrinkles, joint pain and sagging skin. Other things that contribute to lower collagen levels in our bodies are high amounts of sun exposure, smoking and eating a lot of sugar in your diet. So let’s talk about what we can do to increase our Collagen intake and production and give ourselves a boost of youth!
Consuming the following foods will help boost collagen production in our bodies.
- bone broth (contains collagen from the connective tissue, cartilage, and marrow in animal bones). Also… very healing to the gut! This is why we are asking you to drink 16-20 oz. daily!
- fish (Omega-3 Fatty Acids)
- red vegetables (high in lycopene, which is a natural anti-oxidant and boosts collagen)
- dark green vegetables (vitamin C & A-both help boost collagen production)
- orange vegetables (Vitamin A)
- citrus fruits (Vitamin C which helps amino acids convert to collagen)
- berries (rich in anti-oxidants, which fight free radicals while boosting collagen)
- garlic (Contains taurine and lipoic acid-rebuilds collagen over time)
- white tea (protects the structural proteins of the skin)
- avocados (rich in vitamin E-fights free radicals and provides omega 3 fatty acids)
- protein-specifically Grass feed meats (made of amino acids and also contain omega-3 fatty acids)
- nuts (contain both lysine and protein)
- egg whites (contain the amino acid, protein, and collagen!)
- beans (great source of protein, zinc and hyaluronic acid, which plumps and firms the skin)
- flax seeds (another source of omega-3 fatty acids)
You can also take a collagen supplement. You can even add collagen powder to your morning coffee or smoothie! It does not have taste and is the easiest way to boost your collagen intake. One of our favorite brands is Vital Proteins. It is made from grass fed and pasture raised animals and contains no antibiotics or chemicals.
What are the benefits of Collagen?
- Improves and strengthens hair, nails, skin and teeth, and reduces the appearance of cellulite and stretch marks!
- Helps heal Leaky Gut!!!
- Boosts Metabolism, muscle mass and energy output
- Reduces joint pain and degeneration, and may help patients who suffer with rheumatoid arthritis
- Improves Liver Health- bone broth helps to detox!
- Protects Cardiovascular Health
- Better athletic performance
- Improves Gut Health
With all of these benefits and so many easy ways to add collagen to our diet, there is no reason not to make sure you consume it daily. It could just be the next Fountain of Youth!!